21 November 2009

Kirstenbosch: Upper Garden

Date: 21 November 2009

Location: Kirstenbosch

Walker: Helen

There is nothing more relaxing and enjoyable than strolling around Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens on a beautiful day. I entered from the side gate and headed right to the upper slopes.




The mountain backdrop is magnificent: Fernwood Peak and Devil's Peak.



The trees and rolling lawn are a treat for someone with a tiny paved garden like mine. All that lovely space!





There are roads, paved paths and cobbled paths through the beds, which I wandered about at whim. There are also many benches, in both sun and shade, for resting and contemplation.




But the main attraction is the fynbos!



Proteas, restios, pincushions, conebushes, featherheads, ericas, bulbs... a profusion of colours and shapes, scents and textures.







There were birds about too: francolins, hadedas, starlings and geese.




And not all the flora is fynbos, although it is, I think, all indigenous to South Africa. There are palms, aloes, trees, cycads and shrubs from all corners of the country. And all so green!




I decided not focus on identifying species, but just enjoy the variety and richness. But I couldn't help taking a few close-ups :)






I love Kirstenbosch, and am thinking of getting a becoming a member of the Botanical Society so that I can get free entrance and visit more often.




(Photos by Helen)
After my stroll Dorothy joined me, and we read and dozed for a while, then joined friends for a yummy lunch at the Kirstenbosh Tea Room. I recommend the Middle Eastern Vegetarian Platter. Delicious!
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seeing all these flowers is something we miss out on as our time for visiting is at the end of your summer, it certainly looks very colourful.